When I was a kid, we’d all be sitting at the dinner table relaxed and enjoying ourselves when my mom would look at one of us and say “sit up straight”, and then we’d all shoot up in tandem (laughing, of course). I certainly didn’t appreciate it then, but I sure do now. People have always commented about my posture and I’m grateful that I learned such a good habit at an early age. The odds were always against me in this area, since I’m so tall — all the doctors would tell me that tall girls end up growing hunched over because of having to look down at everything.
It might seem silly, but sitting up straight is so important for your health. Good posture means that your bones are aligned properly and the joints, muscles, and so on can function as nature intended, at peak efficiency. My challenge to you this week is to practice good posture habits, being aware of when you’re slouching, and adjusting yourself accordingly.
Good Posture Tips
- Keep your weight down, as excess weight can put strain on the back, weakening the stomach muscles.
- Develop a regular fitness program to keep your muscles flexible and toned to support proper posture (ahem, yoga…pilates).
- Buy good bedding to help support your spine and maintain your shape alignment.
- Be conscious of how you work, especially if you sit at a desk — make sure your chair is set up correctly for your body.
- Sit up straight 😉 and stay healthy.
What other areas would you like to focus on for better health?
Tell me in the comments below and I’ll be sure to write about them in the future.
Photo Credit: Yahoo Beauty