I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Mine was absolutely perfect and relaxing, as it should be. Now that I’m getting back into the groove of things, I don’t want to lose sight of that peaceful state of mind I was in during the holiday weekend.
One of the ways I stay relaxed is by maintaining a good night’s sleep. Below are a few tips on how to have restful sleep every night, beyond just finding a good mattress and pillows.
- I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but try to go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday. Now this is not a rule, by any means, it’s simply a guideline because it can seem a bit unrealistic. A more attainable goal is to do your best to go to bed and wake up around the same time everyday. This ensures that your REM cycle remains consistent throughout the week.
- Sleep in complete darkness. Any type of light from your computer screen, cell phone, chargers, alarm clock, night light, and so on can disrupt your sleep by tricking your brain to stay awake. I go around my room and cover up anything that’s emitting a light, but I’d really love to use a good sleep mask. This 100% silk one looks divine and has the added bonus of protecting and regenerating the delicate eye area while you sleep. It’s already on my wish list!
- Noise cancellation! If your a light sleeper, like myself, this tip is so important for getting a good night’s sleep. You can use a fan, humidifier, noise cancellation app, anything that will help block out disruptive noises. I use the Naturspace app and listen to the ocean.
- Use aromatherapy like an organic calming spray on your pillows and sheets or an air diffuser filled with relaxing essential oils to put your mind at ease for sleep. I am currently using a calming spray by The Brooklyn Herborium, which works great. I’d also love to try this diffuser by Living Libations with their bedtime blend of essential oils.
- Put healing crystals by your pillow when you sleep. I haven’t tried this yet, but I’ve always been intrigued by the use of crystals and the energy that they create with us. I stumbled upon the Energy Muse Blog focusing on the benefits of using crystals, particularly this post discussing which crystals to use for restful sleep. She suggests using the Amethyst, Quartz Crystal and Selenite in a little bag near your pillow at night. Since I’ve never used crystals, I’m not sure on their efficacy, but many people swear by them and I always like to keep an open mind.
What do you think? What helps you sleep? Let me know, thanks!
P.S. Below is one of my favorite songs, Dream a Little Dream of Me by The Mamas and The Papas for a little sleep inspiration. Enjoy!